As part of the large-scale installation currently underway at Paramount Citrus Association Compac is providing a traceability system for tracking fruit across the Compac elements of the packhouse solution. A Compac traceability solution integrates with a packhouse's existing ERP system for a seamless flow of information between the two systems the later recall of data and reports.
The Compac traceability system starts with the unloading of bins from the orchard or storage. These bins can either have a permanent and unique form of identification (licence-plate) or a temporary one which is assigned when the bin is first filled with picked fruit. When the bin is unloaded the Compac system collects the information from this bin and check it with the packhouse ERP system, ensuring the bin is from the correct batch. This ensures that there is no potential for cross contamination between batches as the Compac system will shut down, sounding an alarm if an incorrect bin is qued in the system.
When fruit begins to flow over the sorter the Compac system applies this information to the various pack or bin fills it is creating. By sharing this information with the packhouse ERP system the packhouse can manage its inventory based on the finished packs which contain specific batch information. At this point the Compac system also transfers information about the quality and amount of the fruit sorted to the ERP system. This allows for the creation of a variety of reports which packhouses can use to determine both their own performance and the qualities of the fruit from these different batches. Some packhouses use this information for managing orchards, identifying any issues within certain orchard blocks which can rectified during growing and picking, or for calculating grower payments via both the amount and the quality characteristics of the fruit they're provided.
The Compac Traceability system provides the following benefits to packers:
- Single point of data entry: data relating to growers, products and batches are entered into the customer’s ERP system. The relevant data is automatically transferred and tracked across Compac equipment and appears on pre-sized bin labels.
- Automated batch changes: the customer can change batch directly from their ERP system.
- Centralized reporting: Compac transfer batch processing results data to the ERP system. The packhouse can view batch reports from multiple Compac sorters in one system.
- Batch integrity: only bins from the correct batch can be emptied - Pre-sized bin inventory: bins filled on the pregrader are automatically entered into the ERP inventory system, ensuring correct storage and retrieval of bins.
- Labeled bins: forklift drivers can visually validate pre-sized bin contents during storage and retrieval. They can also scan the permanent license plate in their ERP system to check the contents.