Postharvest guidelines for obtaining organic fruit and vegetables
Organic agriculture is a global and integral concept that affects the entire production process. DECCO IBÉRICA explains that the compulsory requirements for a food product to be considered organic must be respected at all stages of cultivation, including postharvest (treatment, storage and transport once the fruit or vegetables have been harvested).
Postharvest obligations for organic farming
- Food preservation during storage and transport has to be done with products (preservatives, fungicides, additives, etc.) that are certified organic.
- Packaging, packaging lines and other elements must be made of recyclable materials, which generate the minimum amount of waste and can be sanitised with non-polluting systems.
Recommendations for optimising the postharvest of organic fruit and vegetables
- The treatment, preservation and transport of fruit and vegetables until the moment of consumption should not exceed 10-15 days, since the postharvest life of this type of food is more limited.
- The cold chain must be maintained at all times when shipping and transporting organic fruit to prevent the food from losing nutritional value or deteriorating in appearance.
Decco Ibérica products with organic certification
Decco Ibérica is fully aware that organic treatments are more complex and difficult to practice, especially because of the impossibility of using conventional products with a more stable and constant efficacy.
For this reason, one of its main lines of research and development are products certified for organic use in all postharvest actions. Their continuous work on this issue allows them to have, today, a wide catalogue of certified products for use in organic farming, capable of providing solutions to the needs of professionals in this field. These are the main ones:
- Nexy: is the first biofungicide in Spain for use on citrus, apples and pears in postharvest. Nexy is formulated with a micro-organism authorised for organic agriculture which in Decco we commonly call the "gluttonous yeast", as it helps us in a natural way to reduce fruit rot. Nexy has shown significant efficacy against Botrytis cinerea, Penicillium sp. and Colletotrichum sp.
- Deccosol Nature: this is a soap for washing fruit in general which last year was certified by INTERECO as a product that can be used in organic farming due to its low impact.
- Deccosan FH: this is a technological coadjuvant for the treatment of fruit and vegetables in postharvest that is certified by CAAE as an ecological product. It is a product that does not leave residues on the fruit because it decomposes quickly.