SAKATA has 5 research stations in Japan and 10 across 8 foreign countries such as Brazil, England, France, Korea, South Africa, Spain and the United States. The different locations help address the cultural requirements of regional markets around the world in regard to climate, taste, colour preference and growing conditions. This allows to work globally but meet local concerns and demands.
One of the research items is Chinese cabbage, with varieties for different growing seasons, shapes (the most common, cylindrical, but some like Yuki F1 are barrel shaped) and sizes:
Spring and summer
Head weights between 0.8 and 1.6 kg
- RICHI F1, characterized by earliness and bolting tolerance
- TABALUGA F1, colour and head quality, with very dark green frame leaves and yellow internal colour.
Summer, autumn, and storage
Head weights between 1.3 and 1.8 kg
- KISEKI F1, characterized by healthiness and quality, resistant to some races of Clubroot (IR) and Downy Mildew (HR)
- YUKI F1, realibility and robustness, for fresh market and very good for storage
Head weights 0.125 to 1.0 kg in cylindrical shape
- NATSUKI F1 is a strong Chinese cabbage with small size, for harvest in summer and autumn. Ideal for Chinese lettuce, nice taste.